Railway Dugouts Burial Ground

From Mining Mud & Medals
Jump to: navigation, search

Background

South-east of Ypres, west of the village of Zillebeke, and very close to the front line, the railway embankment at transport farm offered scant shelter attracting dressing stations. The first burials at the Railway Dugouts occurred in April 1915, and continued until armistice. by that time 1,700 were known and marked, but in the summer of 1917 a considerable number had been completely obliterated by shell fire. Today, more than 330 are known to have been buried in the cemetery.[1]

Burials of Soldiers Associated with the Ballarat Electorate

Glyndwr David Evans - John W. Saxton

Also See

War Graves

References

  1. The Ypres Salient, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, c2014,