George Dowson was born in Butterknowle, Lynesack, near Durham in England on the 25th June 1878. His parents were William Dowson and Alice Parkin. He was married to Kate (Catherine) Bell in Ballarat, on the 19th April 1900 George was a miner who had firstly lived in Ballarat in Boundary Street, Ballarat East, but later his address was changed to Robertson Street, Spotswood, Melbourne in November 1917. On his enlistment papers, George Downson was said to be 5'10 1/2" and he weighed 173 pounds. He had blue eyes and grey hair.Kate died in September 1941, and in the same year George also died, in Tambellup, WA on the 14th February 1941, aged 62. They are both buried at the Karrakatta Cemetery, Western Australia
Sapper George Dowson (8187) was aged 39 when he enlisted on the 26th September 1917. He was in the 2nd Tunnelling Company, Tunnelling Companies (September 1916 - February 1918: June 1917 Reinforcements. His unit embarked from Melbourne on the SS Indarra on the 26th November 1917. He returned to Australian on the 24th December 1918.  There is a tree planted in honour of George Dowson in the Ballarat Avenue of Honour.
George Dowson received the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.
- http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/6711298/person/6015126966,accessed 3rd September 2014
- https://aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=83206, accessed 3rd September 2014
- http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp, NAA: B2455, DOWSON G,accessed 3rd September 2014
- http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47308521?searchTerm=%22george%20dowson%22&searchLimits= accessed 3rd September 2014
- https:www.aif.adfa.eu.au/showPerson?pid=83206 accessed 3rd September 2014
- https://bih.federation.edu.au/index.php/Ballarat_Avenue_of_Honour accessed 3rd September 2014
- http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/Imagine.asp NAA: B2455, DOWSON G, accessed 3rd September 2014
Denise Grant 3/9/2014
Can you assist this project by supplying photos or more information on George Dowson? We are looking for copies of photographs and memorabilia relating to tunnellers from the Ballarat Electorate. If you can help, please drop us a line: email@example.com